Sunday 29 November 2009

A Christmas Card/Stamping Tutorial.


Hi there, Lynlee here again this morning. I just wanted to share a Christmas card that I made yesterday using Pink Persimmon 'Little Red Wagon' stamps and Collage Press 'Joy Ride' papers, all available at CPC. I have done some paper piecing with the stamps, so I thought I would give you a quick tutorial on how I've done it.
Ok, so the first thing to do is cut your cardstock to size, I cut mine to 15 x 21cm, then scored and folded in half. Next I tore some vintage music paper to size and stuck that on the front. I then stuck one of the journal circles from the Joy Ride sheets to the front, then added a couple of matching strips down the side, one of them I punched with my Martha Stewart Doily lace border punch. Lastly I added a small sentiment to the top right corner and the main body of the card is done.


Now for the really fun stuff :) The next step is to choose the papers you wish to use for the clothes and wagon. You are best to go for prints that aren't too big, it keeps them in scale with the stamps. You can then stamp the images on each of the papers including the stamping the main image onto some more white cardstock.


You are now ready to start cutting out. Now you can choose to use your cutting knife, or scissors, it is completely up to you which you prefer, you just need to make sure you can be quite accurate, otherwise the image can look distorted once you have it all together. I chose to use my knife and you can see below I have followed the line very right up against the stamped image.


Once I had cut all of my pieces out, this is what I am left with. It is now time to start building the picture.
I have used some liquid glue on most of the pieces, but I added a small piece of foam tape to the middle of the dress, so that when it is stuck in place it actually gives the skirt some dimension, you don't have to do this, but it does look cute. So you just keep sticking your little pieces to the main image until you are all done, and this is what it should look like.So the last this to do is stick your paper pieced image to the front of the card and add some glitter or bling if you like, just to finish it off. And that's it, quite simple to do, a little time consuming, but I love the results in the end. I actually did this card for a sketch challenge over at the Pink Persimmon blog, using a really cool simple sketch they provided as inspiration.

You can apply this paper piecing technique to lots of your stamps, and it is a fun way to get a completely different look to your stamps. I hope you give it a try, and if you do, please upload your work in the gallery we love to see your work. Enjoy the rest of your Sunday, and don't forget to check back in tomorrow for the last sneak of the December kit.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love this card. I have wanted this stamp set for ages.